This Thanksgiving, I'm Thankful For

In America, this Thursday is Thanksgiving. We spend the day thinking about what we are grateful for and also eating a lot of turkey and pie. :)

I thought it would be fun to start a discussion on what we're all thankful for. I'll get it going:

I'm thankful that my wonderful girlfriend, Vanessa, accepted my marriage proposal last weekend. We're all smiles here. :)

I'm also thankful that this community exists and helps so many people. We started Ben's Friends (www.bensfriends.org) 6 years ago and now over 80,000 patients and loved ones visit all 35 sites every month. It's truly a little Internet miracle.

I'm grateful for the community, the friendships and especially thankful that the volunteer moderators donate so much of their time to help others. Thank You Mods!

Ok, that's what I'm thankful for. How about you? Let us know below.

Scott

I am thankful for many things--for my family and friends who have always supported and loved me but have really gone the extra mile during the past 18 months since I was diagnosed with amyloidosis.

I am grateful that I am feeling so much better this year than last--100 times better! I had completed 20 velcade treatments and started cell retrieval on Thanksgiving Day last year with my transplant on 12-12-12. The holidays were rough last year but this year, I am enjoying every crazy busy part of it--the food, the decorations, the gatherings, even the cold weather and the snow because I am alive and doing well right now and that is what counts the most.

I am also grateful for my employer that has supported me throughout these months--allowing me to call my schedule and work from home when needed--it meant that I only officially took one week off for my transplant--the rest I worked from home.

Lastly, I am grateful for my doctor and hospital--they have truly allowed me to be a partner in this journey and have literally saved my life while treating me like an intelligent human being.

As you can see, I have much to be grateful for! Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! Enjoy the day!

I think that DBT's reply covers most of my thoughts. Much better this year than last (that must be encouraging to us all), the support of family & friends, staff at my local hospital, who have been really great, & at the National Amyloidosis Centre in London. You definitely feel that you are not alone!

Congratulations Scott & Vanessa - hope all goes well for you.

We are looking forward to Christmas - not having Thanksgiving to celebrate over here.

Glad to hear that you are doing well, Chris! We can have a wonderful life--just have to plow through the bad and look ahead to the good days!

Will be Christmas before you know it!

Merry Christmas!

awesome thoughts! Thanks for sharing!

You are welcome--hope you had a wonderful day!

I am thankful for spending the past several days with my husband, daughter, son and their children. Since my daughter lives 1,000 miles away, it was the first time that I have had all of my grandchildren at my house at the same time. We were truly blessed this holiday week.

As strange as this may sound, I am also thankful for having been diagnosed with Amyloidosis in 2006. Since then I have met some of the most amazing people (patients and physicians) and my life has been made so much richer because of them. There have been many heartbreaks, but there have also been some amazing stories of faith and recovery.

I am SO VERY thankful for the amazing doctors and researchers that are working hard to find a cure and/or better treatments for this insidious disease. There is so much more hope now for those diagnosed!

I am thankful to all of the other patients that are so willing to help others as they begin their journey against this disease. It means so much to be able to talk to someone that has already been there and done that.

And lastly, CONGRATULATIONS to Scott and Vanessa on beginning a joyous journey of your own. Many you have many, many years of happiness!

Paula Schmitt