Swollen Tongue

Macroglossia (swollen tongue) is one of the common symptoms of primary amyloidosis. The tongue is enlarged and eating or talking can become difficult due to its size and stiffness. Once effective treatment begins, the tongue can go back to a more normal size. We are working to educate more dentists and dental hygienists about this disease because they are in a very good position to notice the symptoms and possible help to get a patient diagnosed. We all need to include our dentists in our treatment plans and make sure they know as much about the disease as possible. I have a good article that discusses some of the oral manifestations of amyloidosis and I would be happy to share it with you if you are interested in it. Simply send me a message and I will get it to you.

Paula

Very important information -- thanks. I was just reading an article yesterday about how dental hygienists can also be the first to diagnose HHT, since they would see telangiectasias inside the mouth.

Paula....great idea! My Mom had a swollen tongue, but I'm not sure that's how she was diagnosed. How about we send your article with each states Dental Association....For instance, send me a copy and I'll send it

Rhode Island Dental Association, Welcome

www.ridental.com

Complete listing of all Rhode Island Dental Association member dentists, consumer tips, and dental information.

I don't want to violate any copyright laws and we could get into trouble if you sent the file to the Dental Association. If the patient gives the file to their own dentist I doubt we would get into any trouble. Dentists would have access to this article or others that concern amyloidosis but until they actually have a patient with the disease they probably don't even consider it. You can always write to your state dental association and tell them that you would like for them to focus more on the disease and how dentists can possibly help someone to be diagnosed early. I would be happy to send you the file if you would email me at pschmitt_98@yahoo.com

Louisa Marion's Daugher said:

Paula....great idea! My Mom had a swollen tongue, but I'm not sure that's how she was diagnosed. How about we send your article with each states Dental Association....For instance, send me a copy and I'll send it

Rhode Island Dental Association, Welcome

www.ridental.com

Complete listing of all Rhode Island Dental Association member dentists, consumer tips, and dental information.

Good post Georgia Peach. Feel free to post the link to the article. I'm sure people will like it.

I don't have a link, I have a .pdf of the article and I prefer to have those interested in it to email me privately and then I will forward it to them.

no prob. if you feel like it, you can always upload the PDF to this site and then paste in the URL. It will host the document.

http://www.scribd.com/